- Twilight Silhouette, Tutor - Gail Lawther
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Booking Information: online payments are taken securely via PayPal – you do not need to have a Paypal account. If you prefer not to book and pay online, please call Linda or Rebecca on 01995 603363 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your place.
About your workshop
Monday 10 am – 4pm Join Gail on this machine sewing workshop with lots of techniques, including strip piecing, applique and free machine embroidery. These stunning scenes are created using one of Gail’s designs (or you can use your own design if your prefer)
The dark bird motifs are fused onto backgrounds which are pieced from strips of fabric, these can be quite detailed if you wish – or you can choose a simplified method if you have a single shaded piece of fabric that would work beautifully – in which case you don’t even have to piece the background. Working to Gail’s patterns the finished size of each wall panel are 42 x 21in (roughly 108 x 54cm).
Gail has been working fulltime with fabric and stitch for 20 years, she has published books and many patterns over the years she travels widely teaching workshops and giving talks. Gail also makes Church banners with astounding detail. http://gaillawther.co.uk/church-banners/
What you need to bring. We can email you the list of requirements following your booking.
- sewing kit
- small, really sharp fabric scissors – these are important! If your little scissors aren’t really sharp right to the points, now’s the time to treat yourself to a new pair …
- large fabric scissors,
- paper scissors
- sewing machine and manual
- bring everything that goes with your machine – foot pedal, flex, knee lift if you have one, and all the feet and other bits that go with it – then we can choose the best feet etc to use on the day!
- non-stick ironing sheet or greaseproof paper/baking parchment (for protecting the iron and ironing board when you’re working with the Bondaweb)
- Bondaweb or Steam-a-Seam, the same size as your black fabric piece; don’t use Heat ‘n’ Bond
- Flat wadding 44 x 22in (112 x 56cm)
- sewing thread for the piecing and to match the binding, plus your choice of machine-quilting threads.
For the design you choose, you will need cotton fabrics as follows:
Background fabrics Strips for the pieced background, 15in (38cm) long. The background can be pieced horizontally from lots of different narrow strips, or just three or four much wider strips, or one single shaded piece. (Gail will have some shaded Batiks for sale on the day for backgrounds) If you want to do the background the same size as Gail, you need a total depth of 36in (92cm) when the strips are joined
- Border fabric toning, two 3½ x 36in (9 x 92cm) strips, two 3½ x 21in (9 x 54cm) strips.
- For the Silhouettes closely-woven blackfabric, 18 x 30in (45 x 75cm); the Heron design needs bit more – 18 x 36in (45 x 90cm) (despite me saying ‘cotton,’ polyester/cotton sheeting works well for these as it’s woven nice and tightly!) If you prefer, you can use a really dark brown, green, marbled black or navy for the silhouettes instead of plain black. If you want to add more birds and/or foliage than I’ve used on my designs, bring a bit more black fabric and bonding web
- NB. for the Owls design (or if you want to add a moon to any of the others!), 6in (15cm) square of pale fabric for the moon
- backing fabric, 44 x 22in (112 x 56cm)
- Binding – 4yd (4m) black binding strip (or strips to match your silhouettes) cut it 2in/5cm wide, which gives a finished binding a bit under ½in wide. OR If you prefer to use a double binding, then a 3in-wide strip, folded down the middle to 1½in, will give you a similar finished width.
We can email you the list of requirements and images following your booking.