- Transfer Print A Lovely Stitched Book Cover. Tutor - Diana Morrison
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Booking Information: online payments are taken securely via PayPal – you do not need to have a Paypal account. If you prefer not to pay online reserve your place by following the reservation link then please call Linda or Rebecca on 01995 603363 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange payment.
A lovely day of colour and stitch, with Diana who will show you the magic of Disperse dyes (Transfer Dyes) and crayons by painting, printing and taking rubbings from textural plates. The dye/crayons are applied onto thin paper creating a series of textures, marks and painterly effects. These papers can then be cut up and layered using a variety of objects from cut stencils to delicate original plant forms to create a resist image. Heat is applied and the colour is transferred from the paper to the cloth.
About Transfer Dyes
Transfer dyes or Disperse dyes which they are also known as, are liquid colours or crayons which can be painted, printed or drawn onto paper then transferred to fabric through a heat transfer process. These techniques were originally developed for fabric printing before the onset of digital printing, the techniques in a simplified form can be used at home to create multi coloured prints on fabric
Disperse dyes work best with synthetic fabrics and you will be provided with satin and chiffon samples with which to experiment. Feel free to bring your own sample of synthetic fabrics.
In the morning you will make a selection of samples there will be plenty of time to experiment under the expert guidance of Diana. In the afternoon your attention will be turned to how to embellish your prints further with machine or hand embroidery then use your pieces to make at least one greetings card and a small covered notebook.
Skill Level; Suitable for all, however some machine sewing experience would be preferred to make your notebook.
Provided for you
- All dyes, crayons, paints, fabrics, (you may wish to bring some synthetic fabrics to experiment with)
- some blank greetings cards
- a small soft notebook to cover
- There is a small charge £3.50 payable to Diana on the day for the above materials.
- Small soft watercolour brushes, (there will be some brushes to borrow on the day)
- A pencil and an eraser
- Sewing machine, manual, free motion foot (if you have experience with free machine embroidery)
- Machine & embroidery threads in bright colours
- Sewing kit
- Pen and note pad if you want to take your own notes.
Venue: Winmarleigh Village Hall