- Sun Prints & Stitch - Tutor Sian Hughes
22/06/2019 - 23/06/2019
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Booking Information: online payments are taken securely via PayPal – you do not need to have a Paypal account. If you prefer not to book and pay online, please call Linda or Rebecca on 01995 603363 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your place.
About The Workshop…
A weekend of creativity with textile artist Sian Hughes who specialises in the technique of sun prints on a variety of fabrics and papers. Day two is hand stitching looking at ways to develop your beautiful prints into a stich project of your choice or a suggestion by Linda. Day 1 at Kirkland & Catterall Village hall, Day 2 at Creative Thread Studio, 68b, Church Street, Garstang.
What is Sun Printing
Sun print or Cyanotype is an early form of photography, placing objects on this specially treated fabric and papers then exposing these to sunlight. The results are beautiful blue and white prints.
You Will Learn
On Saturday, Sian will teach you the process of sun printing, working on paper initially using a selection of items you wish to print for example, leaves, flowers, seed heads, haberdashery objects – scissors, buttons, spools etc. Lace fabrics, netting and feathers. All of these will make lovely prints.
Following your paper prints you will move onto fabrics, and repeat the process.
If we get the opportunity we will develop prints in the sunshine, but as we can’t guarantee the British weather Sian will be bringing exposure units just in case. You will use a simple vacuum pack to ensure a clear print is achieved, if we get sunshine you will see the subtle differences In the two methods of developing.
On Sunday, taking inspiration from your prints, we will look at ways to stitch and embroider into your fabrics and paper prints. Maybe stitching together let the silk and shadow of seams show. Back your fabric or layer your fabrics add outline stitch, Kantha stitch, or decorative stitching.
We will look at methods of working into your paper prints using wax to create translucency before stitching.
Suitable for all
Sian will be providing the equipment and a range of materials, fabric and papers for you experiment with, but you may like to bring some of your own.
- Sian will bring extra solution so you can print your own fabric/lace etc. please bring cut pieces max 10 inch square.
- Make sure materials are flat and not too bulky for the vacuum packs
- Translucent items let the light through work well, e.g. garlic skins (but not dried leaves and flowers)
- Home made papers
- Home pressed fresh flowers and petals
- Items with interesting ‘open’ patterns
- Some feathers
- Dense objects don’t allow light through but can create good outlines
- Tomato tops, strawberry tops
- Acetates and text on clear plastic black and white (but not colour) photographic negatives
- Go for post card size – no larger than A5
- Your sun print fabrics, and any other fabrics you may want to use.
- Sewing kit, to include embroidery needles, scissors and pins
- A variety of embroidery threads
- Any buttons, lace, silk ribbons, etc you may want to include in your stitching
- Lunch and a mug both days