- Dear Emma Teaches Stitched Lampshades- Tutor Cathy Emmott
14/03/2020 - 15/03/2020
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Booking Information: Please book your place online. Payments are taken securely via PayPal – you do not need to have a Paypal account. Please call the shop asap if you prefer not to pay online to guarantee your place on 01995 603363. Please be aware that your place is not guaranteed until payment is received.
You can read our full Terms and Conditions here.
About The Workshop: A hand sewing or machine sewing event. Cathy who works under the name of Dear Emma designs produces a delightful range of stitched lampshades, purses, bags and more. Your weekend will be packed with information, design ideas and lots of stitching with the benefit of Cathy by your side to help, demonstrate and inspire you. Emma will talk through her design and creative process, sharing her experiences and tips how to move your own ideas from photo/paper to your own lampshade. Your lampshade will be 20cm diameter by 18cm tall, suitable for a table lamp.
Dates and Times:
Sat 14 and Sun 15 March
10 – 4pm
Skill level: This workshop is suitable for all – all you need is lots of enthusiasm and willingness to learn a different way to stitch on your sewing machine! Or if you prefer the whole project can be hand stitched, (some finishing at home may be necessary) For machine sewing please ensure your sewing machine is: fully functioning, capable of free motion machine embroidery, including the appropriate darning foot. Please refer to you manual and ask before hand if you are unsure.
Learning Curve: Cathy will demonstrate how techniques such as applique hand and/or free machine embroidery can be used to create your individual embroidered lampshade. Using bond-a-web your images can be traced and attached to your shade, an easy applique method that many artist use in their work. Free motion/machine embroidery will be used to define your designs with lots of tips and ideas shared and demonstrated. Cathy will also take you through plenty of do’s and don’ts for drum lampshade making.
You will need;
- A 20cm lampshade kit provided for you on the day at a reduced price £7.00
- Base Fabric in a colour of your choosing. Minimum of 70cm x 26cm. (Please make sure that your base fabric is fairly light weight and NOT upholstery fabric as this does not allow enough light through when the shade is lit)
- Sewing Machine including the appropriate feet required for free machine embroidery.
- Sewing kit
- Embroidery Threads
- Fabric snippets from you stash
- Bond-a-web (1/2mt)
- Fabric scissors
- Spare machine needles
- Iron away pen (Frixion pen)
- 20cm embroidery hoop if hand sewing
- Templates. Any templates or design ideas you wish to use. Cathy does not use templates in her own work.
- Iron, there will be some irons and ironing surfaces available for you to use on the day.
Provided for you:
- Cathy will bring lots of old and new fabrics for you to use to build up your own unique designs.
- Lovely tea and cake