- Patchwork & Quilt as you Go. Tutor - Fiona Macauley Davies
03/02/2018 - 24/02/2018
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Booking Information: online payments are taken securely via PayPal – you do not need to have a Paypal account. If you prefer not to pay online reserve your place by following the reservation link then please call Linda or Rebecca on 01995 603363 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange payment.
This workshop event is over 2 days, Sat 3rd of February 10am -1pm and Saturday 24th Feb 10am – 4pm.
Spend the morning of Sat 3rd February learning how to make a square in a square patchwork block, in preparation for a full day of piecing and quilting on Sat 24th Feb .
The aim of the first workshop is to show you the patchwork technique to make 36 Square-in-a-Square blocks. In the morning you will be able to make some, if not all, of the 36 blocks, or carry on at home and complete all 36 blocks ready for the next session. On the second workshop you will learn how to quilt them, join them into rows and then join the rows together by a Quilt-as-you-Go method. The quilt-as-you-go-technique (QAYG) is a method of simplifying quilting for beginners, it is an easy way to join quilted pieces by machine. Instead of handling bulky quilts, you will be able to quilt your project as you piece it.
Suitable for anyone new to Patchwork and those with some patchwork experience who wish to learn the QAYG technique. Must have machine sewing experience.
About your Tutor
Fiona is quilt maker from an embroidery background. Fiona loves devising her own patterns, working out the measurements and sizes, choosing the fabrics and putting it all together. However Fiona found the actual machine quilting part of the quilt hard work as she likes to do a lot of machine stitching all over the quilt; the constant turning, pushing and pulling through the neck of the machine can be quite difficult.
Then Fiona discovered Quilt-As-You-Go and she hasn’t looked back! Now Fiona designs and makes ‘Quaygo’ quilts.
This a QAYG quilt Fiona made for Holly This is a QAYG quilt Fiona made for Mila
Both Quilts show how you can add applique techniques to your projects. Your finished quilt size will be 39 inches by 39 inches
You will need
You will receive a more detailed list of materials needed to print out following your booking.
When choosing fabric, bear in mind that this design requires contrasting fabric, e.g. mixed darks and lights, or fabrics (assorted or not) of 2 different colours. Advice on choosing your fabrics is readily available at Linda & Rebecca’s Fabric and Sewing shop. Garstang.
- White or light fabric, – ¾yd
- Bright fabric – if using just one fabric – ¾yd
- if using assorted fabrics – 9 x (2½ins x wof) or
- 18 x (2½ins x ½ wof)
- Binding and front joins – ¾yd
- Backing fabric – this can be one fabric or assorted – 36 x (7ins x 7ins)
- Back joins – ½yd
- Wadding – 36 x (7ins x 7ins)
WOF = width of Fabric.
- Sewing machine, with ¼ins foot, walking foot, plug, pedal and leads. N.B. Fiona is not able to help with all types of sewing machines, if you are not familiar with your own machine please bring the manual.
- Cutting board and ruler, no smaller than 24ins.
- Rotary cutter, please treat yourself to a new blade.
- A 6½ins x 6½ins square ruler if you have one.
- Thread for piecing and quilting.
- Scissors, pins, unpicker etc.
- Your lunch on Saturday 3rd March.
Some irons will be provided, but you could bring a mini iron and mat if you have one.
if you need anymore information just email email@example.com