- Natures Quilted Hanging; Tutor Louise Nichols
15/06/2019 - 16/06/2019
10:00 am - 3:30 pm
Booking Information: Please book your place online. Payments are taken securely via PayPal – you do not need to have a Paypal account to make a payment. Please call the shop if you prefer not to pay online and to guarantee your place: 01995 603363.
About your workshop
Make a nature inspired wall hanging using a mix of lino printed images, fabric & felt,. You can make the hanging as large or small as you wish using your own selection of the materials available. It will involve machine applique (although it can be purely hand sewn) & a variety of simple hand stitches to create lots of texture. Learn the skill of lino cutting and printing to make your own personalised prints as well as using images pre-printed by Louise.
Add a choice of lino printed images by Louise available to buy on the day choose from Hare, Bird or Cowparsley
Saturday 15 June 2019 10 – 4pm
Sunday 16 June 2019 10 – 3:30pm
About the Artist: Louise Nichols
I am a textile artist & have been working in the design/textile world since graduating in 1992 with a B.A.Hons. Degree in Fashion & Textiles – specialising in Surface Decoration.
I loved drawing, designing, making & creating from a young age, always taking a sketchbook with me where ever I went & my love of design, pattern & colour is still a very important (& necessary!) part of my life. I am really excited by patterns in nature – looking at the positive & negative – the pattern within the picture & then exploring how the ‘feel’ & atmosphere of an image can change with varying use of colour & added texture.
Louise will introduce you to the skill of lino cutting, inking and printing, you will be able to use your prints in your wall hanging.
Working with advice and guidance from Louise using your prints and a selection of pre-printed images learn how to arrange, stitch and embellish your own wall hanging.
Skill Level – For all levels
Please bring with you:
- Basic Sewing Kit
- Sewing Machine – optional as the hanging can be all hand sewn, but you will need it to sew your hanging together if you get that far over the weekend.
- Simple idea/image to make into a lino print.
- Calico/Linen/Cotton – for your background fabric. The size depend on how large you make your hanging.
- Colour – all the components of the quilt will be available in a variety of colours so bring along whatever colour you like. I’ll also have a range of fabrics with me.
- Lightweight iron-on interfacing
- Felt & fabric scraps – plain or patterned
- Threads & yarns – all thickness’s
- …..& any other embellishments you want to bring along.
- Wadding/batting – cotton or 2oz polyester will be fine.
- Backing fabric
- Ribbon – for the hanging loops
- Disappearing fabric pen
- Printing you will need some fabric to print on – linen/cotton/calico to be the best options, but you can have a go on other fabrics if you wish.
Provided for you:
- Louise will bring a selection of lino prints in a variety of colours to add to your own prints for a small charge per print.
- A selection of threads, embellishments & fabrics on the day that can be purchased for a small price payable on the day.
- Tea, coffee, cake biscuits.