- Embellishments and birds - Tutor, Annette Emms
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Booking Information: Please book your place online. Payments are taken securely via PayPal – you do not need to have a Paypal account. Please call the shop asap if you prefer not to pay online to guarantee your place on 01995 603363. Please note that places are not secured until payment has been received.
You can read our full Terms and Conditions here.
About Your Workshop: On this one day workshop with talented textile artist Annette Emms learn about layering a variety of fabrics and textures to create a surface for appliqué, stitch and embellishment, your finished panel could be a hanging, framed or made into a book cover.
Date & Time: Sat 13 July 2019 10 – 4pm.
Skill level: Suitable for all levels
Learning Curve: Layering fabrics and textures to create a surface for stitch, bind these together with needle felting; either using an embellishing machine or a hand held needle felting tool. Layering your fabrics in this way creates a rich colourful canvas ready for your appliqué bird then add hand stitch (or if you prefer machine stitch) and bead to your hearts content.
I am a Textile Artist, living and working in the beautiful Vale of Evesham, where Shakespeares’ Avon flows through fruit orchards, against a backdrop of the Cotswold Hills.
Since I was a child, I have played with fabric, thread and stories. My work combines this and a fascination with the natural world, old churches, history and local legends.
As I explore the countryside around me I love to weave a story around my work. This land teems with legends which are waiting to be re- discovered and secret places, full of magic and mystery.
I aim to build layers of fabric and stitch, which form interesting textures. These are then used to create dimensional pieces through which I hope the observer can glimpse a little ‘Magic’.
Please bring with you:
- An embellisher machine (this is optional, if you have one this a perfect time to make a project on it)
- OR a needle felting needle/tool with brush or thick foam (available in the shop)
- Sewing kit
- Some pictures of birds or your own sketches
- A pencil, eraser, paper, scissors, tracing paper
- A selection of small scraps of dyed scrim to needle felt onto base
- Scraps of fabrics to make the bird and decorate the panel
- Scraps of ribbon / lace, a few buttons, beads, wool fibres etc
- Embroidery threads
Provided for you;
- A piece of blanket fabric approx. 5 x 10 inches – this will form the base of your panel
- Annette will try to bring a small selection of materials that you may purchase on the day
- Tea, coffee, cake & biscuits
Venue: Creative Thread Studio
Our Creative Thread Studio sits above our new shop, at 68b Church Street. We opened on the 21st July 2018,
The studio space offers excellent light to work and air conditioning, comfy chairs and two work surfaces for you. We have ample plug sockets and ironing surfaces, facilities to provide refreshments, a microwave.
However the studio is on the first floor. We can offer to carry your machines and bags up stairs for you.