- A Beginners Introduction to Machine Sewing - Tutor Linda Robinson
16/10/2019 - 06/11/2019
6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Booking Information: Please book your place online. Payments are taken securely via PayPal – you do not need to have a Paypal account. Please call the shop asap if you prefer not to pay online to guarantee your place on 01995 603363. Please be aware that your place is not guaranteed until payment is received.
You can read our full Terms and Conditions here.
About The Workshop:
Master the basic functions on your sewing machine or hire one of our sewing machines.
Come along and build your confidence by getting to know your machine; there will be lots of sewing practice making easy to sew projects.
Dates and Times:
Wednesday 16, 23 & 30 October and 6 November
Skill level: Beginners to machine sewing and those wanting to refresh their skills.
Over the four weeks you will be learning a variety of skills including the list below and sewing projects suitable for your abilities.
- How to thread your machine
- How to fill the bobbin
- How to change the pressure foot on your machine
- How to change a needle
- About tension, reverse and zig-zag stitch
- How to stitch perfect seam allowances
- How to sew perfect straight lines
- Tips on turning lovely neat corners
- Button holes
- Sewing buttons on
- Sew in a zip
Week 1. Evelope cushion cover. Master straight seams, zig zag to stop fray and turning corners to make lovely easy to make cushion cover.
Week 2. Tote shopper bag. Concealed seams, box corners, making handles and a pocket … a perfect present project.
Week 3. Zipped purse… sew in you first zip and make a super stylish make up purse or perfect storage for you sewing bits and Bobs. We will be using interfacing, adding a lining and a tag.
Week 4. Oven mit. Create a heat proof oven mit and learn how to sew curves, master layers use bias binding and try you first button hole and button. A second mit can be made at home.
You will need;
- Week One 1/2 metre of non directional fabric.
- Sewing Machine (or contact us to arrange hire of a machine)
- Sewing Machine instruction manual
- Spare bobbins
- New sewing machine needles (Universal #80/12)
- Sharp scissors
- Hand sewing needle
- Pen and paper, in case you wish to take notes.
- Hand outs
- Lovely tea, coffee and cake
Venue: Creative Thread Studio
Our Creative Thread Studio sits above our new shop, at 68b Church Street. We opened on the 21st July 2018,
The studio space offers excellent light to work and air conditioning, comfy chairs and two work surfaces for you. We have ample plug sockets and ironing surfaces, facilities to provide refreshments, a microwave.
However the studio is on the first floor. We can offer to carry your machines and bags up stairs for you.