- Beginners Dressmaking Skirt, Tuesday Evening; Tutor - Jenny Atkinson
10/09/2019 - 01/10/2019
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Booking Information: Please book your place online. Payments are taken securely via PayPal – you do not need to have a Paypal account. Please call the shop asap if you prefer not to pay online to guarantee your place on 01995 603363. Please be aware that your place is not guaranteed until payment is received.
You can read our full Terms and Conditions here.
About Your Workshop:
Learn how to make a skirt for all seasons perfectly fitted to you! By the end of the course you will be able to read and understand your pattern markings and instructions. Improved your sewing skills, learnt a few tips to help your dressmaking shills and have made a lovely skirt you feel confident in. We only take 5 students on each course so you get lots of individual attention and help.
Dates and Time:
Tuesday Evening; 10 Sept, 17 Sept, 24 Sept & 1 Oct
6.00 – 9pm
Skill Level: Suitable for beginners, sewing machine experience is required. If you are looking for a beginners machine sewing workshop please email Linda.
An overview of the skills you will learn:
• taking measurements and matching to the appropriate pattern size
• learning what the pattern markings mean on a pattern
• how to lay the pattern out on your fabric
• sewing a pocket
• sewing a dart
• sewing a waistband and using interfacing.
• inserting a zip
• hemming a garment
• We will take measurements to make sure we get the correct fit for your skirt, making appropriate adjustments to the pattern where necessary.
• We’ll look at all the pattern markings and what they mean. We will also look at how to lay out your pattern on the fabric before cutting out.
You will have cut your skirt pieces out at home so we’ll be ready to start some sewing this week!
• We’ll sew the pockets on the front skirt panel.
• Undersew to create a nice clean line on the pocket curve.
• Look at pocket options on other garments.
• Sew the 2 small darts on the back skirt panels.
• Preparing the waistband using interfacing. We’ll have a look at various interfacing options available.
• Inserting the zip. I’ll demonstrate a lapped zip and concealed zip and you’ll do a sample of each type. You can choose which you’d prefer to insert in your skirt.
• Finishing the waistband.
• Hemming the skirt.
• Optional- adding a button detail around the pocket curve.
Please bring with you: each week you will leave with a list of requirements for the following week.
The pattern will be provided by Jenny on week one payable on the day.
- Week 1 –
- Paper scissors,
- fabric scissors,
- notebook and pen,
- soft tape measure,
- sewing kit, to include pins, needles, sewing thread,
- fabric, (details to be sent out)
- Lovely tea, coffee and biscuits.
Venue: Creative Thread Studio
Our Creative Thread Studio sits above our new shop, at 68b Church Street. We opened on the 21st July 2018,
The studio space offers excellent light to work and air conditioning, comfy chairs and two work surfaces for you. We have ample plug sockets and ironing surfaces, facilities to provide refreshments, a microwave.
However the studio is on the first floor. We can offer to carry your machines and bags up stairs for you.